Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wellness (Social)

Key Words:

- Self esteem
- Control
- Tolerance
- Understanding
- Diversity

What Happens

- Eating disorders
- Suicide
- Drug and Alcohol issues
- Dropout

Causing Factors

- Biological
- Psychological
- Social

Causes of Exclusion

- A bias is a preference or the sense of having a preference toward one particular belief, social group, idea , image or race

Stereotyping

- The habit of attaching an uncritical, uncomplimentary or generalized label to a person based of race, gender, colour, age, sexual orientation... or other

Harassment

- Repetitive persistent and untruthful types of speech qualify legally as harassment

Racism

- The belief in the superiority of one race over all others and thereby the right to a dominant place in society


1.What do stereotypes tell us about the group being stereotyped?

Stereotypes tell us that the group being stereotyped is probably misunderstood. The people who do the stereotyping probably don't know much about the individuals that they are stereotyping against and so to classify them in some way use stereotypes to figure out who they are. The individuals being stereotyped are most likely unknown to the person who is stereotyping them.

2. Provide examples of how bias and stereotypes affect your behavior towards others?

Bias and stereotypes affect my behavior towards others because I automatically create stereotypes towards certain people. I don't intentionally put them into a group of the population but it just happens.

3. Provide examples how you have been subject to bias and stereotypes.

I thankfully haven't been subject to very many stereotypes but I have of course been stereotyped a few time. People see me and think that because I'm blond that I am a complete bimbo. After knowing me they figure out that I am actually pretty smart and that I'm not your typical dumb blond. Another stereotype that I have had to deal with is the typical, boys are good at sports and girls suck. I'm a provincial level swimming and play a ton of sports, this stereotype isn't true about me at all. These stereotypes are pretty mild compared to some stereotypes because, after a person actually knows me they won't think these thing any more.

No comments: